Only You Can Prevent Wildfires #SmokeyBDay
Did you know that Smokey Bear, along with his trademark, “Only You Can Prevent Wildfires,” has helped reduce the number of acres lost annually to wildfires from 22 million to an average of 6.5 million annually today? Nine out of ten wildfires are started by humans, and Smokey Bear still plays a key role in educating the public about how to prevent wildfires.
Smokey Bear was at Blogger Bash at the #EAEVENTS party a few weeks ago and turns 70 on Saturday and is still getting the word out. No retirement in sight for Smokey! Here’s the hashtag so you can follow the fun #SmokeyBDay
There’s a Twitter Chat:
- Wednesday, August 6
- 2-3 PM Eastern
And wish Smokey Bear Happy Birthday here and
to prevent wildfires.
Only you can make a difference. Sign the pledge to help stop the spread of wildfires.
VIEW AND MAKE THE PLEDGE Why? It doesn’t cost anything, it raises awareness and don’t you want to do some good today? I thought so.
Here’s the pledge for those of you who like all the information up front:
I pledge to:
BE SMART WHENEVER I GO OUTDOORS
- To use caution and common sense before lighting any fire.
- To understand that any fire I or my friends create could become a wildfire.
- To understand and practice proper guidelines whenever I or my friends create a fire outdoors.
- To never, ever leave any fire unattended.
- To make sure any fire that I or my friends create is properly and completely extinguished before moving on.
- To properly extinguish and discard of smoking materials.
- To be aware of my surroundings and be careful when operating equipment during periods of dry or hot weather.
- To speak up and step in when I see someone in danger of starting a wildfire.
There are great games and activities for kids on this site, and remember Smokey’s ABC’s: “Always Be Careful with fire. If you start a fire, put it out when you are done.”
ABOUT SMOKEY BEAR:
Smokey Bear, the icon featured in the longest running public service campaign in U.S. history, turns 70 years old this Saturday, August 9, 2014. Created in 1944 by the U.S. Forest Service, the National Association of State Foresters and the Ad Council, Smokey Bear, along with his trademark, “Only You Can Prevent Wildfires,” has helped reduce the number of acres lost annually to wildfires from 22 million to an average of 6.5 million annually today.
To commemorate Smokey Bear’s seven decades of impact, the U.S. Forest Service will be hosting a birthday party in Washington, D.C. at the USDA Whitten Patio from 1pm- 3pm ET on August 8. USDA Under Secretary Robert Bonnie, U.S. Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell, Ad Council President and CEO Peggy Conlon, New Jersey State Forester, Lynn Fleming and Smokey Bear himself will be in attendance for the festivities.
Did you know Sam Elliot is the voice of Smokey Bear and has been since 2008? They also share the same birthday so go say Happy Birthday to Sam Elliot on Twitter.