I’m on vacation from cooking (still) and have even figured out a way to extend it through the fall (my best craft yet).
- How will I still manage No-cook meals? Well, not every night, but here are a few times I can think will work – especially the Back to School night! I just found out that Lumière in West Newton is offering a Supper Club and even a Back to School night. No, we do not usually eat there very often but when we do, it is always wonderful. Check it out.
From BBQ to Breakfast-for-Dinner: The Lumière Supper Club
New Monthly Series Pairs Whimsical Themes with Seasonal Family-Style Dining
WHAT: In a return to its roots as a neighborhood bistro serving the metro west suburbs of Boston, Lumière launches a monthly supper club with fun and familiar themes like a New England lobster bake, a summer BBQ, a back to school children’s feast, breakfast-for-dinner and more. The Supper Club takes place in Lumière’s recently-renovated private dining room, where friends and neighbors gather at the communal tables for a family-style, prix-fixe meal including beverage pairings.
As Board Chair of the Chefs Collaborative, Chef/Owner Michael Leviton’s commitment to cooking in harmony with the seasons informs the calendar of monthly Supper Club events – from an end-of-summer local tomato and corn dinner, to a late fall harvest dinner of root vegetables, apples and cranberries to honor Food Day on October 24. The local theme doesn’t end with the menu; local beer, wine and spirits from Narragansett Beer, Bully Boy Distillers and more are paired with each dinner.
Though the themes are fun, the food is serious: Each menu is done in the Lumière style – simple preparations using local and sustainable ingredients – for which Leviton has been nationally recognized by Food & Wine, Bon Appétit, Gourmet, Saveur and the prestigious James Beard Foundation.
Back to School –
September 27, 6:00 PM($30/parent; $15/child) UPDATE- DATE CHANGE!! Back to School Night at Lumiere happens to conflict with Back to School Night at a few local schools (enough people let them know) so the very nice people at Lumiere are changing the date to October 4 (another hopefully free Thursday). Hey, It works for me and extends that whole no cooking thing I’m working on. Lumiere is also offering a giveaway to their Twitter followers – Just follow Lumiere (@LumiereNewton) – Winners will be chosen on September 28 (4 tickets, two adults, two children). Good Luck!!
Bring the kids to Lumière for a family-friendly night out with a menu that includes:
· Tomato Soup with Lumière “Ritz” Crackers
· Panko Crusted Chicken Goujonettes (aka Crispy Chicken Fingers)
· Four Cheese Mac & Cheese
· Roasted Multicolor Cauliflower
· Make-Your-Own Sundaes
· Beverage Pairing: Spindrift Soda and Highlawn Farm Dairy
Every Day is Food Day– October 24, 7:00 PM
($45/person; $15 for beverage pairing)
Let local, in-season ingredients shine with a menu that includes:
· Roasted Local Carrots with Cranberry-Maple Chutney
· Tagine of Vermont Veal, Local Root Vegetables and Maine Golden Eye Beans with
Dried Local Apricots and Lumière Preserved Lemons
· Lanni Orchards Apple Crumble with Maple Sugar Ice Cream and Molasses Caramel
· Beverage Pairing: Pretty Things Beer
Breakfast for Dinner– November 28, 7:00 PM
($35/person; $15 for beverage pairing)
A childhood favorite, dressed up in the Lumière style, with a menu that includes:
· Soft Scrambled Chip-In Farm Eggs with Black Truffles and Toasted Brioche
· Pain Perdu: Challah French Toast with Caramelized Apples, Lumière Breakfast Sausage
and Maple Syrup
· Toasted Banana Bread with Lumière Cultured & Salted Butter and
· Beverage Pairing: A local winery TBD
RESERVATIONS: Reservations must be made at least 48 hours in advance. Call 617-244-9199.
WHERE: 1293 Washington Street, West Newton
A neighborhood bistro at heart, Lumière serves local and sustainable ingredients prepared using classic techniques in a comfortable, informal setting. Since opening in 1999, Chef/Owner Michael Leviton has developed personal relationships with numerous local farmers and artisanal producers, bringing a true understanding of seasonality and ingredients to the daily changing menu and beer/wine/cocktail programs. Over the years, Lumière has received awards from Bon Appétit, Food & Wine, Boston magazine, Gourmet and more. Additionally, Leviton is a six-time James Beard Award nominee.